Membership of the Society
Membership of the Royal Society of New South Wales is open to any person interested in the promotion of studies in Science, Art, Literature and Philosophy, and is an avenue through which individuals can share in the work of the Society.
The Society particularly welcomes young people with an interest in Science, Art, Literature and Philosophy to become Members.
The Society offers:
- A monthly Bulletin to keep you up-to-date with what's going on in Sydney and at our branches.
- Monthly lectures either in Sydney or at the Southern Highlands and Central West branches. These are given by eminent researchers and attempt to bring us up-to-date with the latest developments in their field. These are aimed at a general audience.
- Specialist, prestigious lectures, such as the Clarke Memorial, Pollock Memorial, Poggendorf Memorial and Liversidge lectures.
- Social events, designed to bring members and the general public together, held from time to time during the year.
- A subscription to the Society's internationally-recognised peer-reviewed Journal offering refereed review and other papers presenting up-to-date science to the world, as well as more considered versions of our monthly lectures, PhD abstracts and biographical memoirs.
- Reduced rates on other Society publications.
- An annual dinner with a recognised speaker and an opportunity to mingle with our prestigious Award winners.
- Access to part of one of the oldest scientific libraries in the Southern Hemisphere in association with the University of New England. We are working towards expanding access to the remainder of our library in Sydney.
To become a Full Member of the Society, you must be nominated and seconded by a Fellow or a Full Member of the Society (see below 'How to join"). There is an annual membership fee and a joining fee of $25, payable only in the first year of membership. Full members are entitled to use the post-nominal MRSN.
In December 2013, the membership of the Society voted unanimously to establish a Fellowship category of membership to recognise members who are leaders in their field. Fellows of the Society are entitled to use the post-nominal FRSN. Criteria for Fellowship may be found in the Society’s By-Laws.
Associate Membership is available to spouses or partners of Full Members or Fellows and to undergraduate and postgraduate students (aged under 25) of tertiary institutions and to high school students. There is no joining fee for Associate Membership.
A reduced membership rate is available to Full Members and Fellows who certify that they are over the age of 60 and not in receipt of income against which membership fees would be tax-deductible. (Click the link to download the declaration form.)
How to join the Society
If you wish to become a Member or Fellow of the Society, please follow these links: Fellowship nomination form, Membership nomination form, Associate Membership nomination form to download the relevant form.